DISCLAIMER: This is an unofficial summary of Skurt, Inc.'s insurance policy and may not always be up to date. None of the statements below should be interpreted as binding and are provided for quick reference.
Depending on the location of Your rental, Skurt may provide certain liability and collision coverage, subject to the Skurt Terms of Service, and as described below:
- Liability coverage*: Up to the minimum required by the state where the car is registered.
- Physical damage: The Renter is responsible for all physical damage caused to a Skurt Vehicle. However, if the Renter abides by all of Skurt's Terms of Service, the Renter will only be responsible for the $1,000 damage fee.
- The coverage provided by Skurt is only applicable to Authorized Drivers as defined in the Skurt Terms of Service and the liability coverage only applies to rentals originating in California. If you have any questions regarding Your eligibility for coverage, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Liability coverage only applies to rentals originating in California.
These coverages are always secondary to any other policies the renter may already have (as described in more detail below).
Liability Coverage - For Rentals Originating in California ONLY:
The Skurt Liability policy addresses three components, and the insurance is provided according to the following terms, as well as the terms and conditions located here:
- Bodily injury and property damage to third parties: Skurt provides Authorized Drivers with liability coverage that is the minimum required by the state where the car is registered. These coverages are always secondary to any other policies the renter may already have.
- PIP (short for “Personal Injury Protection”, or sometimes called “first party benefit” or “no-fault”): the renter has the benefit of the statutory minimum required in the state where the vehicle is registered, which in many instances may be zero. This coverage varies by state, and typically addresses medical expenses, loss of income, funeral expenses and similar expenses for the driver or passengers in the vehicle without regard to fault. PIP is not applicable in all states. Skurt has either waived this coverage entirely or subscribed to the lowest limit allowable by state law, and members are bound by such election and agree to be so bound, pursuant to the Terms of Service.
- UM/UIM (“Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist"): When available, this coverage pays the renter or the renter’s passengers for bodily injury caused by an uninsured driver, hit and run driver, a driver whose limits of liability have been exhausted, or a driver whose insurer is insolvent. Once again, Skurt has either waived this coverage entirely or subscribed to the lowest limit allowable by state law, and Skurt users are bound by such election and agree to be so bound pursuant to the Terms of Service.
* Note: In some states, certain owners’ coverages may continue to stay with the vehicle, even during the rental period, and so in those states the owner's insurance could be implicated. Skurt, through its third party insurer, provides the statutory minimal UM/UIM coverage in all states, which may sometimes be zero.
Physical Damage Coverage:
The renter is responsible to return the car on time and in essentially the same condition it was in when they first received it. The renter is financially responsible for all physical damage, subject to the provisions contained herein, unless they provide documentation of pre-existing damage. The renter may document pre-existing damage by uploading Trip Photos at the beginning of the trip, by e-mailing pictures and a description to email@example.com at the start of the trip. Any physical damage coverage offered by Skurt is “secondary” or “supplemental”, as further detailed below.
The renter’s out-of-pocket exposure is limited to payment of a damage fee of $1,000. When damage is reported, the renter will be charged $1,000, and if the total costs (direct costs of damage, plus all “Related Costs”, as defined below) are less than $1,000, the renter will be refunded the difference.
Terms of Service violations. If the guest or any of their Approved Drivers has violated the Terms of Service, engaged in any Prohibited Uses or otherwise intentionally, recklessly, or with wanton disregard, misused the car, the limits described above will not apply and the renter will be liable for physical damage up to the actual cash value of the car, in addition to all Related Costs. Further, if you fail to pay for Your rental fees, in violation of the Skurt Terms of Service, any and all coverage provided by Skurt may be voided.
Mechanical or Interior Damage. Furthermore, if during the rental period, there is damage caused to the interior of the vehicle or mechanical damage caused, the protections described above do not apply, and the renter will be liable for the full cost of the repairs or replacement, as well as Related Costs.
Related Costs. "Related Costs" may include all costs and fees permitted by law, including but not limited to, estimation or appraisal costs, administrative fees, storage fees, towing fees, repair or replacement costs, registration or transfer taxes, claims processing costs and all similar or associated costs, minus any residual salvage value that is collected. Claims processing costs vary, but are typically up to $500 per claim. If a third party accepts total fault for the claim and that third party’s insurer processes it on behalf of the owner without substantial processing by Skurt’s third party claims administrator, the renter will be refunded the claims processing fee.
Skurt protection is secondary. Any and all coverage offered by Skurt is “supplemental” or “secondary” to any existing coverage the renter may have available through other sources (whether through a credit card, personal automobile, or other policy). In practice, this means that the renter is primarily liable, but can satisfy their obligations through these other sources, such that Skurt will first collect the relevant damage fee directly from the renter, and then will seek reimbursement (“subrogation” in insurance terms) from the renter’s other sources for the total amount of liability.
ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE OFFERED TO YOU VIA SKURT IS SUBJECT TO THE EXCLUSIONS LISTED BELOW:
IF THE INVESTIGATION REVEALS THAT THE DAMAGE WAS A RESULT OF ANY THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES, THE PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE: (1) IF THE DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTS FROM YOUR: (A) INTENTIONAL, WILLFUL, WANTON, OR RECKLESS CONDUCT, (B) OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL (C) USE OF THE VEHICLE TO TOW OR PUSH ANYTHING, (D) OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE ON AN UNPAVED ROAD IF THE DAMAGE OR LOSS IS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE ROAD OR DRIVING CONDITIONS, (E) YOUR PROVISION OF FRAUDULENT INFORMATION OR FALSE INFORMATION WHERE THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RENTED TO YOU IF YOU HAD PROVIDED TRUE INFORMATION, OR (2) IF THE VEHICLE IS: (A) USED FOR COMMERCIAL HIRE, (B) USED IN CONNECTION WITH CONDUCT THAT COULD BE PROPERLY CHARGED AS A FELONY, (C) INVOLVED IN A SPEED TEST OR CONTEST OR IN DRIVER TRAINING ACTIVITY, (D) OPERATED BY A PERSON OTHER THAN YOU OR ANOTHER DRIVER AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, OR (E) OPERATED OUTSIDE OF THE STATE WHERE YOUR RENTAL ORIGINATED. FURTHER, ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE OFFERED TO YOU VIA SKURT IS SUBJECT DOES NOT COVER DAMAGE TO VEHICLE TIRES AND/OR WHEELS, UNLESS THAT DAMAGE IS DEEMED BY SKURT TO BE NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR AND DOES NOT COVER MECHANICAL DAMAGE RESULTING FROM NEGLIGENT OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE. ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE OFFERED TO YOU VIA SKURT IS SUBJECT DOES NOT COVER LOSS DUE TO THEFT OF THE VEHICLE OR DAMAGE ASSOCIATED WITH THEFT OF THE VEHICLE.
Furthermore, if during the rental period, there is damage caused to the interior of the vehicle or mechanical damage caused the protections described above do not apply, and the renter will be liable for the full cost of the repairs or replacement, as well as Related Costs.
If you have additional questions regarding selecting among these options, please consult your insurance professional, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct you to our insurance broker.